Friday, March 9, 2007

Oh ME of Little Faith

A few months ago, during our only snowfall this year that stuck around long enough to let us pile, throw and eat it, we made a terrible discovery. Grace had outgrown her mittens, and had nothing to protect her little hands while she piled, threw and ate the new snow!

So, I left her to snuggle on the warm couch with Daddy while I walked to Wal-Mart with Hannah for mittens. However, before I could get out the door, she specially requested that I get "sparkly mittens." Now I have never found much of anything in stock at Wal-Mart right after the holidays, and had certainly never seen sparkly mittens there at any time. I told her not to get her hopes up. I would just do the best I could.

As I moved towards the door, Daddy piped up and suggested we pray and ask God for sparkly mittens. I rolled my mom eyes (the ones on the back of my head--so my family couldn't see them) and stepped back into the room to pray. Not wanting to her to be disappointed, I said, "How about if we just pray that they have mittens." Jack just gave me "the look," and prayed.

As Hannah and I trudged to the back of the store where the racks of children's hats and mittens were, I was much relieved to see that they were stuffed to overflowing with hats and mittens of all kinds. Surely I could find something she would like in her size and my price range. But as we got closer, a little sparkle caught my eye from the very middle of that warm wooly chaos.

I could hardly believe it when I pulled out the only two pairs of sparkly mittens from the whole aisle of winter accessories! One for each of my sweet girls!
I was more than a little sheepish on returning home bearing gifts. . .sparkly mittens for her hands, and a deeper love for the God who cares-- even about the silly childish pleasures of my little girls.

No comments: